Monument to Minin and Pozharsky

 Nikolai Galkin/TASS
Next to the cathedral is the monument to the leaders of the second all-Russian volunteer army against the Polish invaders – Zemsky elder Kuzma Minin and Prince Dmitry Pozharsky. Competition for the monument design was won by sculptor Ivan Martos; the memorial was erected in 1818. In 1931 the monument was moved to its current place from the centre of the Red Square to free the space up for military and civil parades and celebrations. The second all-Russian volunteer army was formed at Nizhny Novgorod in 1611 and brought the end to the Time of Troubles in Russia. The residents of Nizhny Novgorod and volunteers from other regions freed Moscow from the Polish invaders and sympathetic Cossack troops and put an end to the Rule of the Seven Boyars, who earlier deposed of the tsar and invited the Poles to rule in their stead. On October 27/November 6 (New Style), 1612, the troops of Pozharsky and the Cossacks of Prince Dmitry Trubetskoy on the side of the volunteer army, gathered at the Lobnoye Mesto (also known as the Place of Skulls) to make a triumphant entrance to the Kremlin. After Dionysius, the Archimandrite of the Trinity Lavra of Saint Sergius, performed the prayer service in honour of the volunteer army's victory, the victors entered the Kremlin to the ringing of the bells.