Main House of Zamyatin – Tretyakov Manor

Nikolay Galkin/ТАSS
The city manor had been built here back in the mid-17th century, when this place belonged to Prince Peter Menshikov. Since then, the house had several owners and went through reconstructions. In 1871, it was acquired by the prominent merchant and patron of the arts Sergei Tretyakov, brother of the gallery owner Pavel Tretyakov. After the purchase, Tretyakov commissioned his son-in-low Alexander Kaminsky to fully rebuild the house. Drawing his inspiration from the best examples of the ancient Russian architecture, Kaminsky had built a grandiose building with richly decorated facades. The two-storey annex housed Tretyakov's art collection, which joined his brother's Tretyakov Gallery after the merchant's death. In 1894, Tretyakov's widow sold the manor to another famous industrialist Pavel Ryabushinsky. It was here that the country's richest industrialists gathered to discuss their plans to "strangle the revolution with the bony hand of hunger." Despite all the attempts to contain them, the revolutionaries overcame, and used this building to set up the revolutionary tribunal, dispatching the orders to shoot those who tried to resist. But after many years the building was able to return to its cultural mission that was set for it by Tretyakov. In 1987, it was transferred to the Soviet Cultural Foundation headed by academician Dmitry Likhachev, and today it is the headquarters of the Russian Cultural Foundation.