N. V. Gogol's House/Gogol Museum

Nikolay Galkin/ТАSS
This is the house, where Gogol lived from 1848 to 1852, and where he burned the manuscript of the second volume of his Dead Souls novel. Beginning in 2009, this became Gogol's house museum with a large exhibit dedicated to the nobleman way of life in those years, dramatized tours, and a research library. In the courtyard is a monument to Gogol designed by Nikolay Andreyev. This house, where Gogol lived as a dear guest of Count Alexander Tolstoy, is also one of the best examples of a typical Russian manor, which has been preserved since the 17th century with very little reconstruction.