House of Polar Explorers

Nikolay Galkin/ТАSS
The monumental building next to a small manor is the residential house of the Chief Directorate of the Northern Sea Route, popularly known as the House of Polar Explorers. Built in 1936-37, it became the trademark of architect Yevgeny Iokheles, who really became famous after World War II. The House of Polar Explorers is an ideal monument to the 1930s architecture with its fixation on the Classical elements of the decoration. Here, the Classical look was achieved with the help of Corinthian capitals of the central facade, elegant galleries along the top floors, and the sophisticated contrast of the sienna-coloured geometrical pattern and the biege colour of the building itself. Do not forget that the tenants of this Olympus were the true celestial beings of their times, as the polar explorers were the popular heroes of the 1930s. Among the house's tenants were the flying ace Anatoly Lyapidevsky who saved the crew of Chelyuskin icebreaker from an ice floe and explorer Georgy Ushakov whose name was given to an island in the Kara Sea, to the cape and the settlement at Wrangel Island, to a river at the Severnaya Zemlya archipelago and to a mountain range in Antarctica.