Romanovka (Romanov's House)

Beginning in 1771, this was the location of Golitsyn family city manor, but at the end of the 19th century, the building's new owner decided to unite the manor's annexes and build above them as well, in order to turn it into a tenement house. The reconstruction was overseen by Vasily Zagorsky, the architect of the Moscow Conservatory building at Bolshaya Nikitskaya. The owner's name was Romanov, and the building was nicknamed the "Romanovka." The cheap furnished rooms were rented out to the students of neighbouring art schools and the conservatory itself, and soon "Romanovka" became the center of city's new artistic life. The artists, headed by Konstantin Korovin and Mikhail Vrubel, would gather in one of the rooms, while David Burliuk and Vladimir Mayakovsky would read their poems in the other one. The rehearsal hall in the annex was occupied by the upstart artistic theatre of Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko, which later became the Moscow Art Academic Theatre. This annex is still used for staging plays and today it is home to the Moscow Drama Theatre at Malaya Bronnaya.