Moscow Pushkin Drama Theatre

Nikolay Galkin/ТАSS
In the 1910s, actress Alisa Koonen found an old and seemingly deserted manor on Tverskoy Bulvar (Tverskoy Boulevard). She suggested that stage director Alexander Tairov, who was searching for a permanent residence for his company, organize a theatre there. This was how the house that used to belong to the privy councilor Prince Vyazemsky until the end of the 18th century, and then spent the next century changing hands of different owners, became the site of the Chamber Theatre. The building underwent many reconstructions. Its modern-day facade was done in 1930s, following the design of Konstantin Melnikov, who took away the gaudy columns with portico and gave the theatre's exterior a more laconic and Constructivist look. Once Moscow's most revolutionary stage, the Chamber Theatre managed to survive until 1949, despite persecution, and after that the building was given over to the Moscow Pushkin Drama Theatre. Despite the continuing reconstruction, the theatre is famous for its outstanding interiors that it strives to preserve. The ceiling stucco work and the marble staircases alone are worth a visit inside.