Monument to A. S. Pushkin

Nikolay Galkin/ТАSS
The famous monument to Alexander Pushkin by sculptor Alexander Opekushin was unveiled to much fanfare at Tverskoy Bulvar (Tverskoy Boulevard) on June 6, 1880. Famous men of letters stood at the pedestal, the surrounding space was full of boards filled with poet's words, and the public showered the new monument with violets and lilies-of-the-valley. In 1950, the government decided to move the monument to the other side of Tverskaya Ulitsa (Tverskaya Street), and since then, Pushkin has been standing there all alone, lost in deep thought, torn from the boulevard that he so loved and in whose manors he had experienced so much. And this forced solitude completes the history of Tverskoy Boulevard: everything here has changed.