P. F. Sekretarev City Manor

Nikolay Galkin/ТАSS
This house with a garden, patterns and carved columns is not just unusual for modern-day Moscow, it was unusual for the city's architecture even when it was built. The house was built in 1852 by the prominent architect of the Eclecticism epoch Nikolay Kozlovsky. It is a rare design of a secular building among his many churches and the only one that survived to this day. The manor of State Counsellor Pyotr Sekretarev can be seen on a number of photos from the 1860s. Back then, it housed another prominent temple architect Konstantin Ton, who oversaw the construction of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour from this building. Ton was not the only famous resident of the house. In the 1920s, it was the residence of the film director Vsevolod Pugovkin, and rumour had it that Stalin's son Vasily lived here with his family in the 1940s. In the 1990s, the house underwent large-scale reconstruction that transformed its interiors, but left the facade intact.