Union of Theatre Workers of the Russian Federation Building

Nikolai Galkin/ TASS
This beautiful building with a Neoclassical portico appeared in the aftermath of the terrible fire of Moscow in 1812. The Treasury, which had purchased the burned out manors of the Vlasov and Talyzin families, decided to build in their place the complex of printing offices for the Moscow University. The construction was fast. The building at Strastnoy Bulvar (Strastnoy Boulevard) designed by the young university architect Nikolay Sobolevsky emerged in the course of 1816. The building was given the name of "Editorial house," while the printing office itself was located around the corner, at Ulitsa Bolshaya Dmitrovka (Bolshaya Dmitrovka Street). For a century, from 1817 to 1917, the building at Strastnoy housed a number of editorial offices of newspapers and magazines, in particular the office of Moskovskiye Vedomosti newspaper and the apartment of its editor-in-chief. On the ground floor was the famous university bookshop of Alexander Shiryaev, "the best and richest in Moscow," and many of the 19th century's men of letters regularly visited it to buy books. It can be definitively claimed that this building was visited by all prominent writers and poets of the 19th century. Alexander Pushkin and Mikhail Lermontov came here to buy books, while Leo Tolstoy, Ivan Turgenev, Nikolai Leskov, and Fyodor Dostoyevsky often visited the editor of Moskovskiye Vedomosti and Russian Messenger newspaper Mikhail Katkov.

In the 1960s, the building was given over to the All-Russian Theatre Society, and has been beautifully preserved to this day. Today it is home to the Union of Theatre Workers of the Russian Federation .