Bebutova’s Tenement House

Nikolai Galkin / TASS
The house of Prince Bebutov family was built in 1908-09 by architect Gustav Gulrich. Today it is one of the best monuments to Moscow Art Nouveau style, harmonious in all of its elements. The rose-coloured stones of the lower floors match with the biege tiles of the upper ones, while the conciseness of these tiles perfectly matches the stucco elements, the figures of a young man and a woman on the top floor of the central bay window, and the wrought-iron balconies. Today it is a residential house, and before the war it was a tenement one. The apartments were rented out to the consulates, and one of the residents was the famous mystic philosopher George Gurdjieff, the founder of the Institute for the Harmonious Development of Man.