Beginning of Petrvosky Boulevard

Nikolai Galkin / TASS
Petrovsky Bulvar (Petrovsky Boulevard) suffered greatly from the 1812 Fire of Moscow, which burned down both buildings and trees. Following the renovation efforts, it never managed to achieve the same aristocratic status as the neighbouring Strastnoy Bulvar (Strastnoy Boulevard) or the famous Tverskoy Bulvar (Tverskoy Boulevard). It was mostly inhabited by the middle class, merchants and intelligentsia. It is definitely not the grandest of Moscow's boulevards: narrow tenement houses huddle along the small alley, and its principal attraction is the view of the Petrovsky Monastery. At the same time, this boulevard has left its mark on the history of Russian culture. Composer Reinhold Glière, who resided in the city manor located at house No. 5, wrote the first Soviet ballet The Red Poppy, while living here. House No. 19 belonged to physician Pikulin, and a small circle of Moscow writers regularly gathered here, among them Afanasy Fet and Yury Grigorovich. In addition, the Hermitage restaurant was famous throughout Moscow.