In 1779, the Dormitory Church was erected, the main house was built, and a linden-tree park with cascade of ponds was planted. During the war with Napoleon, the French army had pillaged Alexandrovo and its church, destroying many of the buildings. The estate had experienced another renaissance in the late 19th century, when it fell into the hands of merchant Ilya Shchapov. He had left Moscow for the village, where he married his housekeeper. Following the wedding, Shchapov had built a two-storey Russian style house, which was supposedly the first-ever design of the architect Fyodor Shekhtel, as well as a Sunday school for boys, a lace-making workshop, and a school of agriculture. The lace-making workshop was built next to the deep ravine, because lace production requires humidity and specific temperatures.
On his deathbed, Shchapov bequeathed the estate to the Ministry of State Property, so that the government could open a school of agriculture there. The school was opened, but not for long, as the new Soviet authorities had decided to correct the philanthropist's dream. During the Soviet times, the estate housed various organizations, which did have some connection with agriculture.
- Shchapovo Settlement
- st. Yujnaya
- +7 (496) 765 67 66