Troitskiye Gate

Nikolai Galkin/TASS
Visitors enter the Kremlin through the Kutafiya Tower, which leads to the Troitskiye (Trinity) Gate via the Troitskiy Most (Troitsky Bridge). The fortress is first mentioned in 1156. At the same time, the Kremlin as we now know it was founded by Ivan III in the first half of the 15th century. The Tzar decided to modify the fortress, replacing soft white stones and wooden structures with something more rigid – and in order to do that, he invited architects from Italy. Since then all rulers added something new to the Kremlin. Ivan III gave it the Dormition Cathedral, designed by the Italian architect Aristotele Fioravanti in 1479. In 1600 Boris Godunov reconstructed the Ivan the Great Bell Tower, making it the tallest building in the country – and it remained one until the 18th century. Following the fire of 1701, Peter the Great ordered to remove all wooden structures from the Kremlin. In 1787 Catherine the Great commissioned architect Matvey Kazakov to erect the Kremlin Senate on a hill – once it housed the office of the communist leader Vladimir Lenin. Currently the Moscow Kremlin is also the residence of Russia's President – that is why this historic site is available to tourists only partly.