Clubhouse of the Society of Former Political Convicts and Convict Settlers

Aleksander Zelikov/TASS
This building was constructed in 1934 to house the museum, library and archive of the Society of Former Political Convicts and Convict Settlers. Design was commissioned from the prominent Constructivist architects, brothers Leonid, Alexander and Viktor Vesnin. The public disliked the house, which resembled a bulldozer, and berated the Vesnin brothers. Another problem was that the Society, which commissioned the building, was disbanded a year after construction was completed, making it redundant. At first, it was turned into a movie theatre, which operated for ten years. After World War II, the movie theatre was replaced by the State Theatre of Actor, which was later replaced by the House of Cinema, and today the building once again is home to the Theatre of Actor.