Student Dorms of the Communist University of the National Minorities of the West

Aleksander Zelikov/TASS
Many Soviet architects took part in the tender for the construction of the dorm buildings, and the winner was Georgy Dankman's design. In accordance with the architect's plan, each student was allocated an area of 4.55 square metres (49 square feet), while bathrooms and showers were separate from the rooms and located on the floors. Despite this inconvenience, they were always supplied with hot water, even in the years of World War II, when the city regularly experienced problems with water supply. In 1936, the university was liquidated, and the building was given over to the Moscow State Linguistic University. Future linguists live here to this day.