Teplobeton Trust Residential Building

Aleksander Zelikov/TASS
This elegant five-storey building was designed by architect Ilya Golosov and completed in 1934. It was commissioned by the Teplobeton Trust, which planned to use it as residential quarters for its employees. Teplobeton Trust was engaged in production of the innovative construction material insulated concrete, and, as one can easily guess, this material was used for the construction of Golosov's building. The base reliefs on the building's facade feature allegorical portraits of Science, Technology, and Art.

The house stands in place of the Church of Saint Spyridon, which gave the name to the street called Spiridonovka. Many prominent Soviet scientists had lived here, including the president of the Soviet Academy of Sciences, physicist Sergey Vavilov.