Kauchuk Factory Club

Aleksander Zelikov/TASS
The club was built in 1927 by architect Konstantin Melnikov for the Kauchuk Factory. Its construction was commissioned by the Labour union of chemical industry workers. In the center of this grandiose structure is a vertical auditorium for 720 people. Melnikov had come up with a special system of stairwells, which made each of the building's parts completely autonomous – a great safety precaution in case of fire. The club's interiors, and in particular its auditorium, were used during the filming of a famous Soviet comedy Beware of the Car. The building is currently under reconstruction, and is a candidate for UNESCO World Heritage list.