Zuev Workers' Club

Aleksander Zelikov/TASS
This Workers' Club was built in 1929 by architect Ilya Golosov. Golosov and his design had won the invite-only competition, which also included another well-known Constructivist Konstantin Melnikov. Golosov's favourite approach of incorporating a cylinder with full glazing into the flat surface of the building is used in this design. Here it was the spiral staircase leading up to the second-floor grand lobby of the audience hall. The building has undergone many maintenance repairs, and today looks much different from the original project. Despite this the building is still used in accordance with original design, and serves as the home base for a popular comic company called the Quartet E. Second-floor lobby has a permanent exhibition of the original building's blueprints.