Merchant Pyotr Maksimov, Rostov’s first millionaire who had made his fortune in grain trading, had this house built in 1867, presumably to the design of Trofim Sharzhinsky. This late-classical masterpiece was among the first stone buildings to be constructed in Rostov-on-Don. At different times, the building was occupied by City Hall (which would later on move into its own building), by the office of the local merchant community leader, and it served as a courthouse for a while. Mayor Andrei Baikov, who ran Rostov throughout the latter half of the 19th century, had his office here. Pavel Chekhov, the father of the great writer, worked in this building.
Maksimov’s House is located in the historic part of downtown Rostov, next to the legendary Old Marketplace (now Central Market), and the Cathedral of the Nativity of Our Lady. Plan to fit all the three landmarks into one tour.