The students of Southern Federal University (SFU), and the students of Rostov State University before it, know this building in Rostov’s main pedestrian street, Pushkinskaya, as Zonalka, or SFU zonal library. And yet this majestic neoclassical mansion wasn’t always a 'temple of science'. Leonid Eberg, a famous local architect, designed it in 1914 to the order of Nikolai Paramonov of an influential merchant family.
A publisher and patron of the arts, Paramonov lived here with his family until 1918, when the house became property of a communist party institution. A few years later it would serve as the headquarters of the White volunteer army. The mansion is currently under reconstruction, but can be appreciated from outside.