The exact year is not on record when this mansion was built for the Rostov merchant and horse breeder, Ivan Suprunov. However, it can be stated with certainty that it was built in the early 1900s. They say that Suprunov fell in love with an amazing Italian mansion he had seen once while walking around some Italian town. So obsessed was Suprunov with that mansion he bought it for a million rubles, had it taken apart and shipped to Rostov, where it was reassembled. There is another legend that sounds more convincing.
Suprunov visited the World Fair in Brussels in 1910, and was inspired by what he saw there. He returned with a clear vision of a marble and majolica-decorated house in his head. The Suprunovs lived in this house until 1918. It was almost completely destroyed during the war, but some of the pre-1917 façade finishing had survived and was later restored.
- Ulitsa Pushkinskaya, 79