Kistov’s tenement house (SFU main building)

Mikhail Mordasov/ТАSS

Another art deco specimen, this house once belonged to factory-owner Georgy Kistov, who had made his fortune in wood trading.

Assumed to have been designed by Grigory Vasiliev, the house was completed in 1914. Only local historians know the history of this building before 1935, when it became the administrative headquarters of Rostov State University, now Southern Federal University. Some architectural elements from before 1917 are still evident, despite the facelift restoration. The façade looks particularly interesting with its mouldings, little balconies, corbel-piece and semi-columns.