Starocherkassk’s main attraction is the military Resurrection Cathedral, which was built in 1719, but its history goes back to 1652, when there was a wooden church, consecrated in the name of God's Resurrection.
The construction continued despite the order, in which Peter the Great prohibited stone buildings elsewhere, but in St. Petersburg. Legends say the tsar made an exception for Starocherkassk as he considered it a symbolic gesture underlining his authority over the historically troubled Don. Legends claim the tsar was participating personally in the construction.
- Aksay District, Starocherkasskaya Village, Sobornaya Ulitsa, 1А