Reports about a wooden cathedral in the place of the Peter and Paul Church go back to 1692. Construction of the new, made of stone, building is believed to be supervised by Empress Elizabeth, who financed the construction and provided necessary masters. Ataman Danila Efremov oversaw the work.
In 1751, this small church, constructed in the baroque style, was consecrated. Future legendary ataman, hero of the Borodino and other battles, Matvey Platov, was baptized there.