St. Ann’s ground fortress is the only fortifying construction of the kind in Russia. It was built in 1731 at the order of Empress Anna. It was an important outpost for the Russian troops during the war with Turkey in 1735-1739. The garrison watched order at the Russian southern border, and also kept an yet on the turbulent Cossack squads.
With time, the citadel lost its military importance, giving in to the mightier and stronger fortified citadel of Dmitry Rostovsky, which in 1761 gave birth to the Rostov-on-Don city.