Pushkin Embankment

Valery Matytsin/TASS

The main embankment of the city built in the early 19th century was initially named after count Mikhail Vorontsov, a great statesman and general overnor in Novorossiya. In 1952 it was renamed to Pushkin embankment in memory of the great Russian poet, who passed by Taganrog in 1820. Up to the beginning of the 20th century, while Taganrog was still an important trading port in the south of Russia, there were warehouses and a railroad was located along the sea shore.