The building of the Maxim Gorky Drama Theatre was constructed in 1935 according to the project of the architects Vladimir Schuro and Vladimir Gelfreikh. This constructivism piece of architecture resembles a tractor engine – this is the way the locals call it.
In 1936 a troupe of the famous Soviet director and follower of the school for psychological analysis Yury Zavadsky worked there. He put on sage nearly two dozens of plays. At that times such young actors, as Rostislav Plyatt, Nikolay Mordvinov, Vera Maretskaya and other renowned Soviet actors shone on stage.
During World War II, the theatre was destroyed but it was rebuilt in 1963.
The contemporary history of the Tractor is connected with the names of such directors, as Yuru Yeriomin and Nikolay Sorokin. The theatrical performances of the theatre were marked during Russian and international festivals. In 2010 the play "The Cherry Orchard" by Anton Chekov staged by Nikolay Sorokin was marked as the best play on the 4th Theatre Festival in Nikolayev (Ukraine) and received a prize for an original approach in staging during the 4th All-Russian comedy festival. In 2011 the play "Tears invisible for the world" was a triumphant winner on the festival Russian comedy. The awards for best male and female roles were received by the Rostov actors Tatiana Shkrabak and Sergey Vlasov.
Guest directors often work in the theatre. For example, in 1995 the play "Small tragedies" based on Alexander Pushkin’s works was staged there by Kirill Serebryannikov.
At the moment, the theatre has three stages: the big and the small stages for 1165 and 300 seats respectively, as well as the experimental scene for 70 viewers. In the repertoire, there are more classical plays based on works by Mikhail Sholokhov, Anton Chekov, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Alexander Volodin, Francis Veber, etc.