Chekhov Taganrog Theatre

Valery Matitsyn/TASS
The Taganrog dramatic troupe was organized in 1827. After nearly 40 years the theatre artists, who have been successfully touring the cities of Rostov-on-Don and Novocherkassk, received their own building. The two-storey building in a neoclassical style was built on public donations in 1866. The authors of the project were the Italian architect Londeron and the achitecrute academitian Nikolay Trusov. The theatre played a great role in the cultural life of the whole Russian south.