The Kazan Cathedral was built in 1811 specifically for the miracle-working Kazan icon of the Mother of God. The cathedral was built in accordance with designs of Andrei Voronikhin, a serf of the president of the Russian Academy of Arts Count Alexander Stroganov. The count was so impressed with the future architect’s artistic talent, that he sent him to Moscow to study, later gave him his freedom and in every possible way encouraged Voronikhin to comprehend art in all of its forms.
In 1812, came the Patriotic War and after each victory it became a tradition to hang the banners and flags of the prostrate French military units in the cathedral. The icon stand was made from the silver trophies. In 1813, the military commander Mikhail Kutuzov was laid to rest here.
- Kazan Square (Kazanskaya Ploschad), 2
- st. Nevsky Prospekt
- Free of charge
- 7 (812) 314 46 63