Pyshechnaya (Doughnut Shop)

Sergey Konkov/TASS
Pyshechnaya/Doughnut Shop is the stuff of city legends. The recipes for the doughnuts (pyshki and don’t call them ponchiki like they do in Moscow) and for the coffee from the “tank” have been unchanged since the shop opened in 1958, when Bolshaya Konyushennaya Ulitsa was still named after revolutionary Zhelyabov. The locals call it “doughnut shop at Zhelyabova”. The piping hot airy doughnuts with a generous dusting of confectionary sugar and waxed paper instead of napkins have been around for 57 years.