In 1819, Saint Michael’s Castle was given over to the army’s Main Engineering School and from then on the building was known as the Engineers’ Castle. The most famous graduate of this school was the writer Fedor Dostoyevsky who, it should be noted, never put the knowledge and skills acquired here to any use.
Today the castle is home to a branch of the Russian Museum. The bridge to the only entrance to the castle has been restored. There’s even a monument to Emperor Paul in the inner courtyard.
Ticket offices: Mon, Wed, Fri-Wed 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Thu 1 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Sadovaya Street, 2
- st. Gostiny Dvor
- from 150 rub.
- 7 (812) 595 42 48, 7 (812) 570 51 12