Saransk is a town of myths and legends, with a chequered past and big plans for the future. Remembering his trip to Saransk, Leo Tolstoy wrote in 1906: “Old pines with long trunks and short crowns. The soil is black, and a little stony… Backwoods. The Sura River, and the best sturgeon ever.” By 2018, when the FIFA World Cup arrives here, the myths of Saransk will have been transformed into architecture.
Russia 2018 LOC is not liable for any hotel and airline ticket booking services provided by third parties.
Where to stay
Saransk 2018 | Temnikov merchant housesSeveral merchant houses have been preserved in TemnikovSeveral merchant houses have been preserved in Temnikov
Temnikov merchant houses
Several merchant houses have been preserved in Temnikov. Not far from the Ushakov Museum is a former merchant house that was built in 1731. The building is believed to be the town’s first stone structure. At the start of Kommunisticheskaya Street, house number one has preserved the remains of a merchant shop that was built in the late 1880s. Near it, at number 5, is another heritage site, the estate of the merchant Smirnov which was also built in the early nineteenth century. A long time ago this place was called Bazaar Square. There are other heritage buildings in the town, in particular the Municipal Administration building and the district training school building.