The design of post-war Stalingrad was the work of the best Soviet architects: Karo Alabyan, Vasily Simbirtsev and Yefim Levitan. The city was ideologically extremely important. The architects therefore adopted the concept of a monument city with Roman triumphal motifs and large architectural forms.
Stalingrad had been a feature of urban planning textbooks even before the war for being the place where the concept of a linear city was first implemented. The new city plan of 1945 ensured that Stalingrad preserved this linear system of planning: all eight districts of the 65-km (40 mi) city are connected by several lengthwise main roads that run parallel to the Volga. The city was given austere squares and blocks, wide streets and perpendicular intersections, monumental buildings that remind us of the solemn victory, and so-called “city palaces” with classical architectural elements.