“Height 102” or Mamayev Kurgan was extremely important during the Battle of Stalingrad. Whoever controlled the hill controlled the city. Of the 200 days that the battle lasted, 135 were spent fighting for this hill. The Soviet army finally entrenched itself at Mamayev Kurgan on 25 January 1943.
Construction of the monument began in 1958 and lasted until 1967 under the guidance of sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich. The route to the top takes in the Alley of Lombardy Poplars, Last Stand Square, the ruined walls that recreate scenes of the fighting, and Heroes Square that ends with a support wall. In the 1970s, the builders entombed a capsule in the wall with a message to future generations that cannot be opened until 9 May 2045.
- Mamayev Kurgan, Ulitsa Rokossovskogo
- entrance is free, tours - from 100 rub.
- 7 (844) 255 00 83