The contemporary building of Volgograd-Glavny Railway Station was constructed after World War II. The first railway station at Tsaritsyn was built in 1868. The old stone building stood out against the backdrop of other, mostly wooden structures. It was beautiful and very massive for that age. On the station's gable hung the giant letters, the acronym for Gryaze-Tsaritsyn Railroad. Later, the railway station was given the name of Stalingrad-Glavny, and along with different annexes it performed its functions all the way to the Battle of Stalingrad.
The building's facades are clad in granite and Inkerman limestone, and decorated with statuaries and monumental base reliefs produced by Moisey and Nadezhda Pavlovsky and Vasily Bezrukov. Inside, the building's walls are clad in marble. The ceilings are decorated with stucco cornices, caissons, and rosaces, as well as some paintings.