At the spot where Prospekt Lenina (Lenina Avenue) meets Alleya Geroyev (Heroes Alley), there stands the bronze bust of Vasily Yefremov, a war pilot who was twice awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. This monument was erected in 1948, when Vasily "Stalingrad Falcon" Yefremov, an honorary citizen of the hero city Volgograd, was still alive. It was created by sculptor Anatoly Grigoriev. A native of Tsaritsyn, Yefremov was born into a working class family in 1915, and fell in love with the skies as a child. He worked hard to make his dream a reality. Yefremov flew a bomber during the Great Patriotic War, and some of his sorties were in the skies above his hometown. He flew 198 sorties during the Battle of Stalingrad, destroying five Nazi convoys, 15 vehicles, 11 warplanes, and lots of other Nazi equipment. Vasily Yefremov was honoured with the privilege to light up the Eternal Flame in the Pantheon of Glory on Mamayev Kurgan. He is buried on Russia's most important hill, Mamayev Kurgan. His grave is next to the grave of the Hero of the Soviet Union, the great sniper Vasily Zaytsev.